About Academy of the Sacred Heart
In 1818, at age 48, Philippine Duchesne set out with four other Sacred Heart nuns on a voyage across the Atlantic Ocean and upriver from New Orleans to the tiny village of St. Charles on the Missouri River, 25 miles from St. Louis.
There, in a primitive log cabin, Mother Duchesne opened the Academy of the Sacred Heart—the first free school west of the Mississippi, and the first of many Schools of the Sacred Heart in the United States.
Phone: (636) 946-6127
Address: 619 N. 2nd Street, St. Charles, MO